The town of Bechyně

official website

Church of st. Michael

The cementery church of st. Michael.

The old town cemetery is situated in Michalská street in the north-west of the original historical centre of Bechyně. Most probably it was established in the middle of the 17th century, which means soon after the end of the Thirty Years War. The older town cemetery was at the St. Matthew’s decanal church at the town square. The cemetery church of St. Matthew’s in from of the town rampart was ordered by Jan Norbert from Šternberk in 1667 – 1670 and was sponsored by him. Most probably it was built by Antonio de Alfiery who worked in the near Tábor and Týn nad Vtavou. The building is much valued by the architectural historians as one of the first baroque buildings with a central ground plan with prolonged central axis.



Created 5.3.2015 10:23:07 | read 3863x | libor.benda
 
load